Jumpstarting micro-enterprise in WA
Enable Southwest Inc in WA runs the JUMPSTART Micro-Enterprise & Small Business Development Hub for Individuals with a disability or mental health illness. JUMPSTART is an enterprise support hub that acts as a business incubator. It is a new approach to supporting these people by giving them the opportunity to develop, operate and possibly own a business.
And with the injection of an ANZ Seeds of Renewal grant of $10,000, the project has taken off!
An information day was held for potential clients, support staff, family and members of other disability support organisations. JUMPSTART explained how the business ideas would be tested and developed and what training would be available for participants. Following the information and training days, 10 trading businesses or micro-enterprises have been developed.
Some current JUMPSTART micro businesses include:
- Katalina’s Book Club – since starting the Book Club, Katie has moved into her first apartment, is happier, and loves telling people that she is a business woman.
- Sunny in Marg’s Nursery – Stuart has a passion for conservation and organic food, and is now volunteering at the local community garden and forming good relationships.
- Partial Art – with a gift for painting portraits, James entered his first exhibition and sells his art at local markets.
- Darren’s Corporate Massage Therapy – a fully qualified Massage Therapist, Darren operates his business from his customers place of work.
- Caroline’s Coffees – after completing a Barista course and providing a coffee service for staff at Enable Southwest, Caroline’s life is much more positive.
Community Awareness takes time – however promoting the positive examples has been key to the project’s success.
“We found the FRRR / ANZ grants process to be one of the better processes that we have encountered, the application is straight forward and the response was quick. Thank you for supporting this program!” said Rob Holmes from Enable Southwest Inc.