Proudly supported by
Previous funding rounds
Caring for Ageing Rural Australians (CARA)
Rural, regional and remote areas have an ageing population, just like the rest of Australia. The difference however is that often there aren't the extensive facilities necessary to care for aged residents in their local communities.
Fortunately this situation is changing over time, but greater investment is required to enhance, and in some cases create, these facilities.
Caring for Ageing Rural Australians (CARA) is a targeted grant program, designed to support projects and activities that benefit and support older people living in small rural and remote communities.
Grants are available for eligible projects and activities that:
- Help redress disadvantage caused by remoteness;
- Enhance aged care services and facilities;
- Build community capacity for aged-friendly communities;
- Foster community development through opportunities and participation for older people; and / or
- Encourage positive and active ageing, community health and wellbeing, and education programs.
The 2016 program is now closed.
Applications are invited from not-for-profit, incorporated community organisations that have an ABN or Incorporation Certificate.
Projects and activities should offer a clear public benefit for communities in rural, regional and remote locations. Applications from communities with a population of 10,000 or less will receive priority.
There are two streams for the 2016 CARA program:
- The Small Grants stream will offer grants up to $10,000, and is available in the following locations, thanks to the support of specific donors:
|Queensland||$45,000||Sylvia & Charles Viertel Charitable Foundation, managed by Equity Trustees|
|Gilgandra and Warren Shires, NSW||$55,000||
The Estate of the Late John William Fleming
The Carleton Family Charitable Trust
The Estate of the Late Harold Gordon Jones
The Perpetual Foundation - the Rural Enhancement Endowment
|Victoria||$100,000||Ian Rollo Currie Estate Foundation|
- The Large Grants stream has $125,000 available for Victorian communities only for grants over $10,000, with a preference between $20,000 – $80,000, thanks to the support of the Ian Rollo Currie Estate Foundation. Organisations wishing to apply to the Large Grants program must contact the Program Manager on 1800 170 020 to request an application form.
- Caring for Ageing Rural Australians Small Grants Stream - 2016 Guidelines
- Caring for Ageing Rural Australians Small Grants Stream - 2016 Application Form
- Caring for Ageing Rural Australians Large Grants Stream - 2016 Guidelines
- Caring for Ageing Rural Australians Large Grants Stream - 2016 Application Form - Please call 1800 170 020 to request a form.
If you have any queries or wish to discuss your project, please contact your State Programs Manager on 1800 170 020.