Bill Kelty AC
Mr Kelty was a founding board member of FRRR, serving from inception to 30 June 2019 and following his retirement, was appointed as a Patron of FRRR.
After graduating in Economics from La Trobe University, Bill Kelty began his career in the early seventies working in various positions in the trade union movement.
This involvement led to his becoming Assistant Secretary of the ACTU in 1977, a position he held until he was elected ACTU Secretary in 1983 and he remained as Secretary until February 2000.
In his role as Secretary of the ACTU, Mr Kelty was responsible for industrial relations policy and practice in all industries, especially oil, the waterfront, retail, airlines and transport.
A key part of Mr Kelty’s role was to conduct industry level negotiations to improve company competitiveness while maintaining and improving workforce wages and conditions.
Importantly he was responsible for helping to negotiate national fiscal policy, which included the introduction of compulsory superannuation for the Australian workforce.
At the time of his retirement from the FRRR board, Mr Kelty's current activities include the following:
- Non-Executive Director of the Linfox Group;
- AFL Commissioner;
- Chair of Virtual Communities
- Director of the Bank of Queensland
- Director of Luna Park Pty Ltd. Melbourne
- Member of La Trobe University Council
- Chair of Evans & Partners Advisory Board
- Member of McGuire Media Advisory Board
- Member of Bill Hutchinson Foundation
- Chair of Ministerial Advisory Council on Regional Australia.
- Recipient of the Centenary Medal - 2003
- Companion of the Order of Australia - 2008